Monday, August 23, 2010

Dr. Laura is Clueless on First Amendment

Dr. Laura Schlessinger has decided to end her radio program at the end of the year.  You may recall her N-word laced tirade at a caller got her into some hot water and people have been critical of her for those comments.  But, she decided to play the victim.  Her reason for ending it?
"The reason is I want to regain my First Amendment rights, I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I'm sort of done with that."
Um.  What?  "Woe is me!  I'm the victim."  First of all, this is not a First Amendment issue.  You had every right to be an idiot and to say stupid things.  And, you exercised that right to perfection.  Those listening to your disgusting tirade have every right to be offended.  Sadly, given her past history, I'm sure there were a few listeners cheering her on as well.  Dr. Laura has had people angry at her for years, I don't know why she suddenly feels this is new.  I'm glad she feels like she is a voice of dissent.  Hopefully that means that her kind of attitudes have been pushed into the margins.  However, none of what she says, in any way, shape, or form, has caused her to lose her First Amendment rights.

But it gets better.  Sarah Palin, spokesperson for the Bag of Hammers, cries foul on Twitter:
Dr.Laura:don't retreat...reload! (Steps aside bc her 1st Amend.rights ceased 2exist thx 2activists trying 2silence"isn't American,not fair")
When did Dr. Laura's First Amendment rights cease to exist?  This is just more demagogy and clueless misunderstanding of our Constitution from the Queen of Wasilla.

Being criticized for being stupid, having people suggest a boycott of your sponsors for being stupid, is not a cessation of her First Amendment rights.  Regardless of her misunderstanding of our Constitution, at least she won't be plying the airwaves anymore with her shtick.

No comments:

Post a Comment