Saturday, September 18, 2010

Apologist Headline?

A headline in the USA Today online reads, "Pope tells U.K. he's sorry but thousands protest."  Did I read that right?  The headline implies that since he apologized, why are there thousands protesting?  I mean, c'mon, he apologized people!  That should be the end of it.  You know.  Forgive and forget.  At least that is what the Church hopes people will do, or what the sheeple are told to do.  


The first paragraph of the article.
LONDON (AP) — Pope Benedict XVI said Saturday he was ashamed of the "unspeakable" sexual abuse of children by priests, issuing an apology to the British faithful even as thousands of people opposed to his visit marched in central London in the biggest protest of his five-year papacy.
I emphasized "even as."  Now, I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to English and grammar.  It sort of implies that one of them (either the Pope or the protesters) should not be doing what they are doing.  In this case, I think it is implying the Pope should not be apologizing while others are protesting.  Am I missing something?

No comments:

Post a Comment