Monday, September 5, 2011

The Nook Book

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I have been doing more reading lately.  This is a good thing.  I also decided that it was time to consider my reading options, such as going electronic or not.  I looked at the two options (Kindle and Nook) and decided on the simple non-color Nook.  I decided I didn't need the fancy bells and whistles.  I didn't need to check email and the internet from it.  I didn't need social networking access with it.  I just wanted something small and simple that I can use to read.  The Nook fit that need very well. 

One of the reasons I went with an e-reader was because I am finding myself reading several books at once, depending on my mood.  A book on historical spy fiction, a book on atheism/skepticism, a book on science, a book on probability and chaos theory.  You know, the standard light reading...for insomniacs.  Anyway, I'm not always sure what my mood is and I find myself putting a book down after 4 or 5 pages and moving to something else.  Carrying around all those books for travel is not convenient.  Neither is getting out of bed after getting all settled to find the right book.

As a bonus, you can get a lot of free books.  In the case of the Nook, a lot of "classics."  You know, the books we were all supposed to read in school?  Admittedly, I have not read may of them, and I wasn't particularly in the mood to buy them or even to check them out at the library.  I've downloaded about 15 of these classics so far.  So, when the mood strikes me to read a classic, I have it handy.  I'm sure I will find a few "keepers" in my reading and as a result, I will probably still buy the hardback for the bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment