Thursday, December 9, 2010

Remembering Lennon

I admit it.  Growing up in a cave, I have little recollection of John Lennon.  I may have vaguely known of the Beatles and I bet the first time I heard John Lennon's name was the day he was killed.  I have some vague recollections of news images, but I can't be sure if it was Lennon or Reagan.

Now that I am older, wiser, and moved out of the cave, I can only remember Lennon based on what has been said of him in death.

Perhaps his most popular and important song is Imagine.  It is a beautiful song to listen to even if you don't try and comprehend the words, which, I suspect, a lot of people don't.  It strikes me as humorous how many people mention this song and its message and love and peace and then in some way reference his soul or spirit.  Why does this strike me as humorous?  Because, if any song could be considered an Atheist Christmas Carol, Imagine would be it.  Here are the first two verses.
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
He clearly speaks of living life in peace if we can imagine no religion, no heaven, and no hell.  A beautiful sentiment in a beautiful song.

No comments:

Post a Comment